Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Worth Fighting For

As Brendon and I were driving home from Costco we spotted a desk with a "Free - Take Me" sign on it. I knew Melanie was looking for a sewing desk, so I hopped out of the car to check out the find. Brendon was in a hurry so he drove the rest of the way home (but not before strongly warning me NOT to even THINK about keeping the desk for myself - we have no room in our tiny apartment) and I called Melanie and told her to hurry up and come see this desk! While I waited for her, I opened up drawers and realized it was a vintage sewing machine from the 1920's - the kind that flip down to close. Inside the drawers were old wooden spools of thread with bright colored threads, and vintage pattern books, all kinds of crazy sewing foot attachments...so neat! I wanted it so much, but I told myself I would be responsible and give it to Mel - since she needed a desk as well as had room for a desk - both of which I did not. Melanie showed up and immediately became giddy with me over this neat desk, but she admitted that it was more my style than hers. I tried really, really hard to walk away from it knowing Brendon would be thoroughly angry with me - but I just couldn't do it. The owner had come out while I was looking at it and said it still worked. This amazing piece of furniture was heavy, but only a block and a half from my house, so Melanie and I (extremely awkwardly) shimmied and shoved it down the street to my place. Needless to say, I was in big trouble when Brendon got home. But being the great guy that he is, even though he was mad at me, took me to Home Depot anyway to buy all the things that I need to refinish this desk and restore it to its original glory. Now I am trying to decide what fun vintage fabric to use to cover the seat cushion, and what adorable knobs to choose from Anthropologie.



No comments: