Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Creatures

Sometimes, when you live on a farm...you go to wash your face...and you put your face down into the sink to splash water on it...and you open your eyes and this is what you see:

Sometimes you scream because you're caught a little off guard by the frog in your sink (or the toilet... or the shower...those things get everywhere!). And you beg your husband or dad to get it out for you so you can finish your beauty routine. (I know...I'm embarrassed that as a tough farm girl I am still a little squeamish around creepy crawlers).

My other close encounter happened last week when I was running. I decided to go along the perimeter of our walnut orchard, that borders with rice fields. I was just running along minding my own business when I heard the stalks of rice shuffle around and I looked up to see a SKUNK less than 6 feet in front of me. The skunk was obviously threatened by me and was standing stick straight with it's tail raised ready to spray. My heart jumped out of my chest and I turned around and ran the other way. Thankfully I escaped unscathed, but that really got my heartbeat racing. Smelling like skunk for a week would not be fun!

1 comment:

{Erica} said...

eww about the skunk...but really...after living in Hawaii and living with gecko's crawling all over the place...especially in the shower you screamed about a frog :) Now a giant cockroach flying onto your head and landing there...that was the one time I screamed so loud that I made my own ears ring while in hawaii. But I guess I'll admit that a little frog catching me off guard would cause a small scream...maybe :)