Thursday, August 14, 2008

Sabah El Kheir

We are on our second full day here in Egypt, and tonight we leave Luxor and take a sleeping train to Cairo. Unfortunately I can't blog any pictures yet - but maybe when we get to Brendon's cousin's house in Jerusalem we will be able to upload and share a few. As for now...I struggled figuring out which button said "log in" in Arabic...so you'll just get the basics ;)

Some musings about Egypt so far:
*It is HOT! We have never drank so much water in our lives. Yesterday between the two of us we drank over 12 Liters! And we never have to use the restroom because we sweat it all out!
*traffic laws seem irrelevant or non-existent; bicyclists, pedestrians, mules, camels, busses, motorcylclists, and cars all weave in and out of each other straddling lanes and cutting each other off. There seem to be no rules.
*Egyptians seem to LOVE their horns! They honk every 30 seconds it seems.
*Egypt is cheap! It is costing me $.60 to use the internet for one hour. Our hotel is only $5 a night, and peddlers try to sell us scarves for $.20.
*People sleep on any surface here. Everywhere we go there are grown men, women, and children sleeping on the sidewalk, in the gutter, in the shade of the cars on the road.
*Everyone carries guns here like it's no big deal. Lots of men have rifles and don't seem to be wearing a uniform or have any official reason to have them.
*Everyone wants a "baksheesh" (tip). They force themselves on you to give you directions, or explain a hieroglyphic, and they follow you around waiting for their handout. They are quite aggressive here.
*Even the cats look Egyptian. Ha! They are skinnier and hairless almost, and they totally look like I would imagine an Egyptian cat would look. Sometimes they hang around your feet at outdoor restaurants waiting for scraps.
*The food is pretty good. We discovered we love banana juice and lemon juice (not at all like lemonade)!
*The prayer call sounds LOUDLY five times a day. I think the first time it goes off is sometime around 5 am and it is absolutely impossible to sleep through it. It's so wild.
*Egypt is colorful! I love that. The cars and the houses and the clothing - it's all so bright and happy.

5 comments:

kell-bell said...

I would love to travel to Egypt, but I had no idea it was so inexpensive...hmmm. Post pictures soon!!

Jeri said...

Camel ride yet?

Caroline said...

My dad was in the Air Force. We were fortunate enough to live in Germany. It seemed every weekend we were on a new adventure. I have been to many of the places you have been. I went on a cruise down the Nile and loved every minute of all the sight seeing. OUr trip there was one of my favorite childhood memories. To this day, I love Egyptian art and history. I am so jealous of you.

Jana said...

I can't wait to see some pics!!!

Melanie said...

fun times. so glad you did this. eat all you want. calories don't count when you are abroad.