Monday, December 03, 2007

Christmas at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave

This past Saturday was the annual White House open house to show off all the wonderful holiday decor in the East Wing.
Here we are in front of the HUGE Christmas tree in the blue room. This year the theme was "Our National Parks"...so the ornaments on the tree were all representative of a national park. The ornaments were sent to each park and then local artist decorated each ornament and sent them back. My favorite was Lady Liberty...although it was hard to get a good picture of it.
They have such great decor ideas. They used lots of gold this year...as you can see from the mantel in the Red Room.
We took our friends Blake and Kayla along. Here's the annual White House gingerbread house. This year it was made out of all gingerbread and covered in white chocolate. Yum! You could actually smell the chocolate when you were near it. We debated what happens to it after...do you think someone eats it? I would like to volunteer to be that someone!




Afterwards we had lunch at one of my favorite DC restaurants...Old Ebbitt Grill.

6 comments:

Jolanda said...

Once again, I would like to tell you how spoiled you are!
Looks like so much fun, I would love to eat that gingerbread house myself!

Hatch Family said...

Wow! That looks so fun! Great pics.

Amanda said...

I'm jealous! Everything looks so beautiful. I marvel at how exactly the gingerbread whitehouse came to be. I can only imagine the work that went into it. You guys look great; I especially love your outfit!

Jen & Johnny said...

That gingerbread house definately puts all of my g~houses to complete shame!!!! How beautiful!!! How exciting that you get to go to those fun events!!

Rissa and Jared said...

Jared saw your blog last night and was like "oh geez, our blog is BOHRING! How come we don't do cool stuff like THAT??" keeping up with the Merkleys is hard!! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great place to be a Christmas time. How magical! I'm impressed by how often you update your blog. You guys look great. Will you be in Gridley for Christmas?