Sunday, October 19, 2008

Ee I Ee I O

For those of you that don't know already...I am a farmer's daughter. My dad grows walnuts in Northern California. Brendon had never seen the harvest season and I had not been home for harvest in nine years, so two weekends ago we took the short drive (yay!) home to Gridley to visit my parents.
Brendon had a blast playing with the puppy and taking pictures of the entire walnut harvesting and hulling process. He loves this kind of stuff. I was thrilled to be home because I love this kind of stuff too. This is me with Dad and Mom.Everyone always asks how you pick walnuts. Well...Brendon documented the whole process...but lucky for you I'm not going to post 230 photos. There is a tractor that shakes the walnuts out of the tree onto the ground. Next, a special sweeper tractor drives (very speedily!) around sweeping the fallen walnuts into tidy rows. Finally another tractor drives over the rows and suctions them up into a trailer. It really quite wild. This is a bird's eye view photo of the huller facility on our farm. After walnuts are picked they have to be hulled (the green husk that grows around the walnuts has to be removed), cleaned and dried. Below is a picture of many tons of walnuts in trailers hooked up to the drying tunnel.



4 comments:

Ashley said...

I can remember, just like it was yesterday, the batch of candied walnuts you made for all of us. They are TOO DIE FOR! I can still smell them!

cameron said...

OH HOW YOUR WALNUTS ARE SO TASTY...

Leishman's said...

Mckenna was pretty excited to see the picture of Macey.

brenley said...

totally interesting! i've wondered how walnuts and other nuts are farmed! it sounds like i'm going to have to try some of your infamous walnuts;)