Wednesday, November 28, 2007

What's A Girl To Do?

If you wondered why there has been a shortage of creative projects on here lately, it's because my cheapo sewing machine up and kicked the bucket on me :( It was a sad day to hear that it's such a piece of junk that it's not even worth fixing. Thankfully Christmas is around the corner to save me, and my parents have graciously offered to pay a certain amount toward a new machine. So my amazingly-talented-at-comparison-shopping husband went with me to the Pfaff dealer on Saturday to test drive new machines.

I went in dead set on not being swayed by their fancy pants machines and bells a whistles...but swayed I was. Now I am torn trying to decide what I want. Here are the current contestants (keep in mind I haven't even checked out other brands yet...sure to be more confusion and paralyzing ahead):



First up...the Pfaff Classic Style Fashion 2023. This is what I went in looking for. A great, heavy duty, simple machine that should last me nearly a lifetime. My favorite feature is the built in walking foot...which means the fabric will always feed through evenly. It's a lot more than I ever dreamed of spending on a sewing machine, but I guess I learned my lesson buying my first machine from Target.


Secondly we have the Pfaff Creative 2124..."pure embroidery pleasure" the brochure boasts. The owner of the store (I know...I know...it's obvious what his motivation is) says if I'm going to get the sewing machine...I might as well spend $500 more to go to the bottom rung embroidery machine. It has a stronger motor...can do everything the sewing machine can...plus it can embroider. Visions of monogramming napkins, sheets, and towels were immediately dancing in my head. Oh all the cute baby clothes and baby blankets I could make with this machine. All the great gifts I could make for people with their initials embroidered, or special dates and names. And if this machine is going to last me a lifetime what's $500 amortized over a lifetime?? Then I remember "oh wait...I didn't come in here looking for an embroidery machine...I only need a sewing machine". Back and forth...every second I change my mind as to whether it's worth it.



Then...(this is where Brendon really thinks I'm a sucker for a sales pitch)... they tell me they have this machine, the Pfaff 2140, used for only $1,500...it usually retails at around $8,000. What a bargain! I'm a sucker for a bargain! (And a sales pitch). This machine is the Rolls Royce of embroidery machines. And take a look at all those stitches on the lid! There are hundreds of them. This is only $200 more than the bottom rung embroidery machine...so doesn't it make sense to pay the extra little bit of money to go up (are you sensing a pattern here)?

What would you do if it were you?

4 comments:

Jolanda said...

Hmmm, decisions! I am still sewing on my classic Janome that I got when I was 13 yrs old. I would love to have an embroidery function on my machine too. So this is what I think. Are you really going to embroider that much? If so, and it is the bottom rung one that you get, how good is the embroidery? I just had some blankets embroidered and while it looked nice at first, as soon as I washed them, the thread was fraying a bit and didn't look nice at all. So I would make sure it is still quality or there is no point in getting it. I am a sucker for a sales pitch too, but my mom always says that when you get the fancy computerized things, they always cost way more $$$ when they need to be repaired. I would find out if there is some sort of warranty included or you may find you are stuck with an even bigger bill in so many years. My last two cents is to check out the machines on consumer reports or www.consumersearch.com (that one is free). I have narrowed down many-a-purchases from reading the reviews and ratings of other owners. Hope that helps, and I am jealous you get such a fancy pants machine (even if you get the basic!).

kell-bell said...

Hmm...do any of them do that really cool quilting thing...because while you're at it, you should get one that does that too, probably only like $500 more, he he. Good luck with the search!

Mandy said...

Go all out --- you will use it for the rest of your life. I also got excited when you talked about all of the embroidery you could do!!!

Holly & Kasey said...

I was in the same situation last Christmas. After much deliberation, I went with an embroidery machine. I absolutly LOVE it. It sews like a dream and the cute baby blankets, towels, etc are worth every extra cent!!