Friday, March 14, 2008

I Still Can't Believe I Did That

Last night I let my husband talk me into auditioning for Nashville Star. Crazy, I know. Don't get your hopes up while reading this...I didn't make callbacks. I debated whether to blog about it...do you blog about failures?? Sure, why not!? It was quite a day.
Auditions started at 10:00 at the Westin hotel in DC, so Bren dropped me off at 6:00 am. Oh man...it was dark and COLD!! And I had to stand in heels! Basically I shivered in line for five hours until my area of the line was finally let in to the hotel around 11:00. I made friends with the five or six people around me in line, though, and it made the wait more bearable. Although, of course the weather didn't decide to warm up until about 10:45.
(my fun group I made friends with)
The producers made us do all the silly line shots outside where you scream "DC loves country music" and "Nashville Star here we come" and dozens of other equally corny TV lines. So look closely when the show comes out...you may see me. Ha ha.
I wasn't actually as nervous as I thought I would be, because it kind of felt like a big party. Who knew there were so many hicks on the East Coast. Granted, there are only 4 of these open call auditions in the States, so people came from all over and there really were hundreds and hundreds of people in lines wrapping around the blocks. But in the lines it was fun to see so many cowboy hats and boots...I almost felt like I was back home. And people had their guitars out and groups would sing for everyone. Some people you are were blown away by their talent, some people were just so-so, and some people you kind of wonder what posseses them to come to auditions (geez...I sure hope people don't think I fall into that last category...ha ha). Once inside groups gathered together and guitarists played so we could all sing good old country songs like "Sweet Home Alabama", "Country Roads", and "Boondocks". I thought as I was sitting there, how fun it was just to be surrounded by that many people that share the same passion as me for country music.

This adorable girl I met in line made me go to the bathroom and practice with her. So there we were in this tiny one stall bathroom and she sang her chorus and it sounded really great. And then she told me, "Ok, you're turn" and I warned her it would be loud but she said, "Just do it". So then at the very last line of my song a lady peaks her head in the door and says, "Who's singing in here? You are so good. Have you ever heard of American Idol? You should try out!" It was hilarious. She had no idea I was there to try out for the country version of American Idol.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

1st off, I wouldn't call this blogging about a failure because you did something, you didn't just sit back and think about doing it.

2nd off, I love that you did blog about this! It was fun to read.

Hatch Family said...

Way to go Tar! Thats awesome that you even tried! You have an amazing voice! I miss listening to you!

Erica said...

I am so proud of you!! That is SO awesome! I wish I would have known and I could have come and cheered you on. Way to go!!

Jen & Johnny said...

Way to go Taryn!! You are awesome!! That takes a lot of guts to do things like that!!

Amanda said...

Go Taryn! It takes major guts to do something like that. At least this way you know that you tried, and you didn't chicken out. That is something to be proud of!

Melanie said...

loser. haha. JK! So proud of you. They don't know fine country music apparently. I'm still bitter that they didn't let you through. I owe you for the 10% sewing budget increase. Yahoo!

Laura said...

What fun! Life is all about racking up experiences and you have added one to the list. Thanks for sharing, maybe I'll do something crazy this week. You have inspired me.

Shelbi said...

The only thing I can think of is that you weren't tall enough... I mean could there be any other explaination? I love listening to your sing...you know I do...I love all of them but the one I can hear vividly is "o Holy Night" one of my favorites..just one of my favorites!
Your amazing you just must need higher heels!!



Hey how can I get a blog thing that tells me when someone has posted stuff?

K+C=M+K said...

It's so great that you did that! You really do have one of the most amazing voices ever! I still remember when you came into our class at BYUH and sang the star spangled banner for someone's lesson and I seriously had to choke back tears! Your voice is beautiful!!!

Unknown said...

Taryn, I am so proud of you, both for trying out and for blogging about it. I really don't understand why you weren't picked because I believe you have the most amazing voice ever! All I have to say is: Don't Give Up! This better not be your last audition. I really miss hearing you sing and I hope I'll get to hear you all summer!

Ashley said...

OH MY GOSH....I am SOOOO proud of you! I have been thinking about you A LOT this season of AI. I think you should try out. I miss the good old days of listening you sing. Especially the Faith Hill song that you could sing BETTER then her. I'm serious about that too. "Baby where'd you ever learn....to fight without saying a word..." LOVE IT!