Friday, October 05, 2007

A Little Story...

Preface: This dramatization isn't really very funny AT ALL. Just don't have big expectations. And don't say I didn't warn you.

Act I Scene I: 6:00 pm at the Merkley residence. Brendon is standing stage left serving his dinner. Taryn is sitting at the couch sewing in front of the television.

Brendon: Do we have a ladle for the soup?

Taryn: I usually just use a cup measure to scoop it out.

Brendon: A cup measure? Don't you mean a measuring cup?

Taryn: Whatever! (rolls her eyes).

Epilogue: How has it taken 26 years for someone to tell me that I've been saying "measuring cup" wrong my whole life?

The point of this non-funny story / dramatization / one act play / biographical incident / anecdote /et al is that I am hoping you will share your stories about words you have grown up saying incorrectly. The stage is now yours...

9 comments:

Melanie said...

Until Nate pointed it out, I never realized that it's wrong to pronounce the word 'soundtrack' like 'sound-tract'. I still can't break the habit.

Mandy said...

Did you know that a Jockey box is actually called the glove compartment?

Melissa said...

in my family we call eye goobers "kitties". I have no idea why. When I stop to think about it that is so strange to say to someone "you have a kitty in your eye." Yeah, we're wierd!

Jolanda said...

I grew up saying salsa "salz-hah". My friends all teased me and I had no idea why. My mom says it that way, so I just thought that is how you said it. All through High School I also thought a double turn in traffic was a "duo turn" not a "dual turn".

Anonymous said...

that is weird because i was just saying something wrong the other day! now i can't remember what it was, but christian thought i was dumb.

kimmy said...

my family grew up calling fruit snacks "fruit wrinkles". the first time you let it slip at the school lunch table is pretty embarrassing for each kid in our family!

Kristin and Jay said...

k so I don't have any stories about me (i think) but Jay says lots of stuff wrong. He always says drawl and sawl for draw or saw (like he grew up in the south or something =) anyways one day I was reading something he wrote and he actually spelled it drawl. He thought it was drawl not draw. What? What was he thinking whenever he saw that word? That everyone but him spelled it wrong?

Anonymous said...

in the primary song "as i have loved you," i used to think the line "by this shall man know..." was "by this shalmano..." thinking a "shalmano" was a body of water. as in, jesus was teaching his disciples next to the shalmano. what?!

luckily my stupidity was outed by my mom while i was still a little girl...

Shelbi said...

I seen it and I know it's true!!

I just hope I don't pass that on to my kids...lets just keep that one between you adn me Tar!!