Friday, September 21, 2007

A Little Culture Infusion


Bren emailed me Wednesday wondering if I wanted to see La Boheme in the President's box seats at the Kennedy Center. We hesitated since we had just been to the President's box the week before and we weren't sure if we would like opera (and poor Bren is sick and not really feeling up to weeknight dates).


After much deliberation I told him I thought we should go so at least we could find out if we liked opera or not. I appealed to his frugal side by telling him we might as well try opera while it's free (as are the food and drinks in the President's box). Bren can rarely refuse a free date. And I am always up for ways to squeeze a little more culture into my redneck self :) Brooke will recall that when we were touring Europe we saw an opera house and I thought maybe we could go see Phantom of the Opera or Les Miserables ... silly me!


Anyway ... La Boheme was not really what I expected, and nor do I think I am a huge fan of opera (let's just say I'll still pick a musical over an opera any day!) but I was pleasantly surprised that it was not nearly as boring as I had thought it might be. It was set in modern day and the costumes and set were very impressive, and of course the musicians and singers were beyond talented. All in all I am glad we went.


No comments: