Friday, September 07, 2007

WYNONNA WE LOVE YOU!



*Parking at the Kennedy Center...$10

*Tickets to see Wynonna Judd in concert with the National Symphony Orchestra...$0

*Sitting in President George W.'s exclusive box seats at the Kennedy Center eating his favorite munchies (like boxes of M&M's with the presidential seal on them)...priceless.
Every once in a while Brendon gets Presidential box seat tickets from work to different events at the Kennedy Center and it's always a really great time. I love getting dressed up to go. I love handing our tickets to the usher and watching their faces light up as they see that we're sitting in the President's seats, and then they always make the same joke: "I think you'll prefer the right wing of stairs". The presidential box seats 12, so it's always fun to meet the other politicals attending. Usually everyone starts talking politics and my eyes kind of glaze over, so I head for the fridge to get some Milano cookies and Jelly Belly's.

This event was BY FAR the best I have ever seen at the Kennedy Center! Wynonna just has the most amazing voice ever - and so much of it. She had the cutest personality too...I didn't expect her to be so funny. One time she was singing "I Can Only Imagine" and she stood there for a while while the introduction kind of lapsed and she turned to the National Symphony Orchesta director and said, "Can you start over - I got a little too excited?" Ha ha.

She sang a lot of cover songs, and only sang about 3 or 4 of her own songs. It sounded so great though. She covered "At Last" and it fit her voice so well. She also sang "I Wanna Know What Love Is" and just belted it.

She seemed so excited/flattered to be at the Kennedy Center singing with the National Symphony Orchestra - like she had "arrived". She said she had only ever been here before with her son on a field trip, and when her concert bus pulled up this time her son was with her and he said, "Wow, cool Mom". Wynonna said she thinks it the first time he realized his mom is kind of cool. Ha ha. She also said, "Wow...the Kennedy Center. I wonder what Mom and Ashley are doing tonight" and she explained in a family like hers it's hard to top the other person and demand the attention at the dinner table. Ha ha.

I can't even explain how giddy I was to be there...like a kid in a candy store. Brendon kept laughing because every time he would look at me I had this HUGE grin plastered across my face. It felt so good to get back to my country roots. I was probably the only true redneck in that audience :) For her last song (the encore song) she sang "No One Else on Earth" - who would have thought it would sound so good played by an orchestra?! Anyway...in the middle of the song in true concert style she shouted "Sing it back to me". I think about 90% of the audience was cute little senior citizens with Kennedy Center annual tickets that had no idea who she was, so I was probably the only one singing the chorus back to her - but you can believe I was singing it as loud as I could. And Melanie was singing all the parts she could remember the words to.
All together it was a pretty amazing night!


5 comments:

Hatch Family said...

Gosh, you guys do amazing things. I am a little envious! :-) Someday when we are out of law school I hope do to half of what you have already done!

Rissa and Jared said...

I love it! You guys look really tan in your photo. I was on the phone with Jared when I got your text and I told him what you were doing. I even said "Taryn loves it cause there are free treats and special M&M's with the Presidential seal." haha, so great!

Shelbi said...

That is awsome! You look fabulous in all of your posts. The presidential suite thats the hook up!! It's so much fun to see all of the exciting things that you are up to. I wouldn't expect anything less...Love it...Love you...

Rachel Durazzani said...

You don't know me but I met Brendon when I worked for the Washington Seminar - maybe the place that started it all?

Anyway, I found your blog on Gio's (friend of my husband) site and thought I'd drop a line.

Tell Brendon hello for me.

Anonymous said...

Wow Taryn, it sounds like you get to do some awesome stuff. I'm so jealous.