Thursday, September 27, 2007

You're Going To LOVE Me For This!!

I debated about putting this recipe up for a long time. Selfishly I kind of liked the attention of being the best cookie maker around (since my cousin Jo shared this recipe with me). But then I talked some sense into myself...I mean it's not like I wrote the recipe...what right do I have to keep it from the world? So here you go...my early Christmas present to all of you:

The BEST Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 18 large cookies

These oversized cookies are chewy and thick, like many of the chocolate chip cookies sold in gourmet shops and cookie stores. They rely on melted butter and an extra yolk to keep their texture soft.These cookies are best served warm from the oven but will retain their texture even when cooled. To ensure the proper texture, cool the cookies on the cookie sheet. Oversized cookie sheets allow you to get all the dough into the oven at one time. If you are using smaller cookie sheets, put fewer cookies on each sheet and bake them in batches.

2 cups plus 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted & cooled until warm
1 c brown sugar, packed
1/2 c granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1. Adjust oven racks to upper & lower -middle positions & heat oven to 325. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Whisk dry ingredients together; set aside.
3. With electric mixer, or by hand, mix butter & sugars until thoroughly combined. Beat in egg, yolk and vanilla until combined.Add dry ingredients & beat at low speed just until combined. Stir in chips.
4. Roll scant 1/4 cup dough into ball. Holding dough ball in fingertips of both hands, pull into 2 equal halves. Rotate halves 90 degrees and, with jagged surfaces facing up, join halves at their base, again forming a single ball, be careful not to smooth uneven surface. Place formed dough onto cookie sheet, leaving 2 1/2 inches between each ball.
5. Bake, reversing position of cookie sheets halfway through baking, until cookies are light golden brown and outer edges start to harden yet centers are still soft & puffy, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool cookies on sheets. Peel from parchment when cooled

*Note: step #4 is very important...it sounds odd but this process makes it so that the cookies look kind of ragged on top...they will look like you bought them at a bakery!

I promise...you will never use another chocolate chip cookie recipe as long as you live.

4 comments:

Jolanda said...

It is the right thing to do, sharing the recipe with the world. I am glad you liked the recipe so much and thanks for the credit, though I did get it from Cook's Illustrated :)
hmmm I think I should make some today!

Hatch Family said...

those cookies look so good! I will have to try them out sometime! :-)

Mandy said...

Kaylyn just asked me if I would ask you for this recipe. Amazing timing. I can't wait to try this recipe.

Melissa said...

Your cookies are to die for! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us. They were a hit at my housewarming party. Now I can give people the recipe as well. Mmm mmm good! I might just make some this weekend.