Monday, September 10, 2007

The Skirt That Tried To Kill Me

Last night I finished a sewing project that took way longer than it should have! Sometimes I just do dumb things that I cannot explain (like the way I got lost the other night going home because I thought I was smarter than Miss Garmin). Anyway...back to this skirt.

Piecing it together and cutting out the pattern was easy enough. When I got to the zipper, however, I had a few hangups. I spent no less than an hour trying to put in an invizible zipper like it was a regular zipper and topstitching around it. DUH! After ripping it out for the 3rd time I boinged my head and said "What are you doing, Taryn!?" Once I actually stopped being dumb, I put the invisible zipper in beautifully in about 15 minutes.

Error #2...after spending a good amount of time making a beautifully precise rolled hem at the bottom of the skirt I again boinged myself on the head and wondered aloud how I could possibly make two super dumb mistakes. Then I ripped out my work and did a more appropriate blind hem stitch in much less time than the incorrect rolled hem took.

Sometimes I just don't know where my brain goes. It takes little mini vacations without warning me.

Just so you all know, there is a happy ending to this story. I finished the skirt last night, and surprisingly it turned out great. Maybe one of the best items I've sewn. But I still am a slight bit resentful toward the skirt. Ha ha.


1 comment:

ANJ said...

boinged. great verb. let's see a pic of this skirt!

ps - i bought a pink pinstripe shirtwaist dress and wore it on the first day of school. you're my inspiration :)