Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Adventures in Running

Yesterday was AMAZING weather in Arlington, and it gave me the motivation to go running. I didn’t even need my jacket… it was so great. I was running and smiling to myself about the great weather, when about a mile into my run I passed a truck of men that hooted and cat-called. I gave them the most disgusted look I could muster and kept running.

When I got to the end of the block I realized one of the men had come running after me. He was a big man, with long dreadlocks, and he reeked of marijuana. He ran ahead of me and turned around to run backwards so he was facing me. I stopped in surprise, but then decided I didn’t want to stop lest he think I would talk to him, so I kept running. Unfortunately so did he. I tried to ignore him, but that’s much easier said than done when there’s a huge man running in front of you on a narrow sidewalk.

Huge dirty stinky man said, “Whatcha listening to?”
Me: “Country music” (while trying to position my hand so as to make my wedding ring as visible as possible).
HDSM: “Oh really, who?”
Me: “Oh, I can’t remember”
HDSM: “You can’t remember who? Well, what’s the song?”
Me: “Oh, I don’t know” (thinking “AS IF you know country music!!)

(…we’re on block 2 now…)

HDSM: “What’s wrong? Doesn’t anyone ever run with you?”
Me: “No, I like to run alone”.
HDSM: “Why? Because you’re so dang fast?”
Me: “No, I’m not that fast”.

(…block 3…)

HDSM: “Then why?”
Me: “Because it’s weird. You’re weird. This is weird.”
HDSM: “Well, you run good.”
Me: “No, not really.”

(…4 blocks! Awkward!)

HDSM: “And you LOOK good.”
Me: “Um, no I don’t.”
HDSM: “Yes, yes you do”.

And with that, thankfully he stopped running with me. Maybe I need to switch to running in sweatpants and baggy shirts. I don’t think these seedy men that loiter around 7-Eleven can appropriately handle spandex running gear.

10 comments:

K+C=M+K said...

Let's face it- you DO look good! Running in a trash bad wouldn't even solve that problem! I'd run along if I saw you;) Wish we lived closer, I have been on this running binge for a few weeks now and I can't find one good running buddy!

Katie said...

okay, that's scary! they sell these really cute pink taser guns. you could stick some bling all over and you'd be protected in style!
http://www.shinyshiny.tv/2007/01/ces_2007_the_al.html

Holly & Kasey said...

OH my gosh! I would have been wetting my pants! How scary! I wish it was good enought weather here to run outside, instead we have 24 inches of snow and ice packed roads. I haven't seen pavement since the last time we were in Utah!!

cody said...

Dang you're good lookin sis! I bet he was thinking, NICE BUM, WHERE YA FROM! I would think about investing in a taser gun or maybe some pepper spray. We were just talking about DC being one of the worst areas for crime in the US. It's one of the best places to go for selling security systems. Be careful Tar!

Erica said...

I am so glad you are okay. I've had a few run in with creepy guys before and it is just so gross. Next time you go for a run call me, I'd love to join you!!

Trina said...

you are so brave! i would have definitly freaked and kicked him or something! i'd probably get myself killed. way to go on how you handled that!

Amanda said...

I am so sorry, I don't know what I would have done. You kind of a hottie though! Maybe you should run with pepper spray or something. My brother tells me I should take a gun with me when I walk with my friend. I don't think I'm there yet, but I hate feeling vulnerable in those situations.

Mandy said...

You are so HOT!!!

Jolanda said...

Yikes scary!
I think you need to invest in some pepper spray, the little ones that you can put on your key chain!

Unknown said...

Taryn! That is hilarious! I would have died!