Wednesday, April 09, 2008

A Cooking Post From a Girl Who Can't Cook

Lest you be disillusioned into thinking I am some sort of domestic goddess, I will set the record straight. I am nothing of the sort! My cooking skills are sorely lacking. And my desire to cook is even more lacking. That was a sad realization for me after I got married. I'd had fantasies of me whipping up amazing meals in a fabulous apron and winning my way to my husband's heart through his stomach. And then I realized...I don't even enjoy this one bit. And by no means am I good at it. As a result Brendon eats lots of dinners like quesadillas, tomato/cheese sandwiches, and simple pasta dishes.


Last night I was feeling extra healthy after my run (and after some nagging from Brendon to start depleting our food storage in preparation for the big move) I decided to make a real meal of lemon pepper chicken, green beans, and sweet potato fries. I thought I'd share the "recipe" for the sweet potato fries, because they are one of my favorite side dishes. They are super healthy, super easy, and pretty darn tasty I think.


To make them I usually peel 2-3 large sweet potatoes, then rinse them and wrap them in plastic wrap. I put them in the microwave for just about 5 minutes (give or take) to make sure the insides of the fries will be soft and to make the chopping easier...but you don't want them too soft or they'll be soggy fries. Then I just chop them up to a fry-like shape on the cutting board and plop them in a pyrex or a bowl or something. I use my nifty little spray bottle thing to put them olive oil on them, because it covers more evenly...but you can just drizzle it on straight from the bottle as well. Then shake a packet of taco seasoning on them and stir everything up to coat evenly. Spread the fries out on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven on the broil setting. I usually leave them in there like 5-10 minutes, and then flip them to get the other side. Just keep your eye on them. They'll start looking almost blistered when they are ready to come out. Then enjoy. They are a pretty yummy way to eat your veggies.


8 comments:

Hatch Family said...

I don't like sweet potatoes but they look way yummie!

Rissa and Jared said...

looks very good!! i may just try these. did you take the picture? very pro. sweet potato fries are super good with powdered sugar--leave it to me to ruin your healthy lifestyle

{Erica} said...

yum! I can't wait to try this recipe!

K+C=M+K said...

You go girl! Those sounds delicious! We made some sweet potato fries a while ago, but totally not the healthy way you mentioned (shame on us) so next time I'll do it your way:) And congrats on the new move- going to Stanford, is that it?!

Ashley said...

Okay, i think you stole those words out of my mouth because i feel the same way about cooking. I suck at it. I have NO desire to be good at it, I don't enjoy it and now i have three mouths to feed!
This recipe looks yummy and I will print it off and add it to my pile of "things to make." Thanks for sharing!
I love all your Etsy stuff too, by the way. I am so impressed with everything, I've been out of town but when I got home and saw announced the opening of your shop I was so excited for you.

belle black said...

great idea! i will definitely be trying these . . .

Amanda said...

Those look AMAZING! Sweet potatoes happen to be one of my favorite foods so I'm excited to try your recipe.

The Bertagna's said...

those look good Taryn, I am going to try them :)