Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Viva il Papa

This morning Brendon, Brendon's dad (Al), and I were able to attend the official arrival ceremony for Pope Benedict XVI at the White House.

It was a beautiful day in Washington, which made the trip to the South Lawn all the more enjoyable! We had about an hour or so to kill before the ceremony, but it went by fast...we always see tons of people we know at these White House events.

As soon as the Pope arrived someone shouted "Happy Birthday" and everyone spontaneously started singing the birthday song. When it got to "happy birthday to...." it was kind of awkward and gurgled sounds as everyone wondered what to say, but most people just tried to make "po-ope" into two syllables :)

They had all the usual pomp and circumstance that makes these White House events so fun...Marine band, 21-gun salute, Fife & Drum Corps, etc. There was a beautiful rendition of "The Lord's Prayer" and "Battle Hymn of the Republic".

We weren't super close, but considering Bren had to work a lot this morning before the event and we didn't get out there as soon as the gates opened, we had a pretty great view. If I stood on my tippy toes and all the heads in front of me aligned in a favorable way I had a pretty decent view of the President and the Pope. It pays to have a husband that is 6'5"...so we definitely got some pretty good photos.

I never get tired of these events. I sure am going to miss this!
{The great view from the South Lawn}



{The Vatican flags were displayed all around the White House property}

{We ran into an old friend, Mike McCarlie, at the event}

{Al/Dad, Taryn, and Brendon}

{The Fife & Drum Corps}

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I so watched part of this on CNN! I love the Pope's little red shoes. I wish James worked at the White House. That would be so cool!

The Bertagna's said...

ooooo, looks like so much fun! I am so happy you were able to go :)

Julie said...

I love Mike McCarlie! Did you know that in 2003 my girlfriends and I went to Halloween as Mike McCarlie for President 2016 campaigners!

Melanie said...

haha. You little Catholic you!